Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Sciatic pain guidelines

Sciatic pain is one of the bad injuries you can have. Sciatica refers to pain that radiates along the path of the sciatic nerve, which branches from your lower back through your hips and buttocks and down each leg. Typically, sciatica affects only one side of your body. It is debilitating, it makes you uncomfortable and it changes a lot of your daily routines.Over the years I have treated hundreds of patients with sciatic pain and I think I have a good idea on what to do in case of sciatic pain (I also had bad sciatic pain a couple of years ago). 



Here is goes:
- Dr. visit is important but it is more important to get an MRI. 
- Surgery should not even be in your mind so get it out of your head. 
- Cortisone shots or epidural shots not always work. 
- The main problem once you had the pain for a while is muscle tightness and stiffness. Every therapy you do should have the goal of loosing up the muscles and regaining mobility. 

The following therapies can work:
1. Heat. 
2. Massage. 
3. Mobility exercises. 
4. Swimming. 
5. Neurodynamic exercises. 
6. Lumbar traction. 
7. Walking. 
8. Biking. 
Again, this is just my opinion. I see too many people with sciatic pain that just lay or sit around because they are afraid or making it worse or because they have too much pain. 
What they should do is find two or three different things they could do with not much pain, exercises that make them feel better. When I had my acute sciatic pain I would go to the gym and do 15 minutes of light exercises. Then I would go to the swimming pool for 15 minutes and ended up in the yakuzzi for another 15 minutes. This is what helped me and I did it mostly every day. 
It is important that you understand this: nobody is going to help you. You have to do it on your own. There is no magic pill, shot or treatment. It is a hard work to get rid of your pain, but you can do it if you are proactive and look for things that help. The combination of 3 or 4 treatments or exercises is what is going to heal you. 

Check more information at 

No comments:

Post a Comment